Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Please don't kick me down...

No, make that: I won't give you the power to take me down.
...easier said than done...

This week has been incredible for me on the eating front. Not so much what or how much as my overall mentality. I realized I was getting way to obsessed with planning and logging and figuring--even with all the complications, I was getting caught in my infamous trap of thinking too hard.
So I decided to let it go. I made decisions about how I was going to monitor and guide my intake, but didn't obsess over outlining plans and logging things and reoutlining an altered idea.
I kept my goals on the forfront of my decisions about what to eat, but I kept my life on the main plate of my daily time spent.

The crazy thing was, I did what I put my mind to more than I ever did when I outlined all the details. My target total, the WHOLE improvement aimed at for the next day, and all my quotas and makeup goals. I ate my allotted healthy balance of beloved fruit, veggies, and fiber--even after coming off an extreme of having none for a week, and the abundance of new groceries [which has previously triggered me to lose control and eat it nonstop]. I cut back on coffee. I ate my favorite foods and enjoyed leisurely snacks where I could, and I crammed whatever calories I could get when and how needed when necessary.
I prioritized my life and didn't neglect my eating, but made it work with my life.

Then comes the downer. I was home for a big chunk of the day, but determined not to be the misunderstood victim of all kinds of judgements and assumptions typically made by my family, especially in terms of my eating and diet needs. In fact, another big thing I'd done this week was take some baby steps to heal the relationships instead of running away--talking and opening up to one of my sisters and my mother. Boy did that backfire.
Now it's not just comments under the skin, but outright picking on me constantly. And the thing is, I WANT people to talk to me and not just make assumptions. But I want it to be an open slate--I want them to listen and be open to thinking outside the box. Instead, I got the point of what they thought and then a wall came up--no room to listen or hear where I was coming from.
So much for support and understanding. Now I feel even more hurt than ever.
And instead of excited about my progress, I feel angry. So angry that I've already let it go to some extent today. Not all down the drain, but I'm struggling with old habits again, and feeling so very, very alone.

I want support, I want understanding. I have a lot of work to do and I let myself down a lot and I need tough love to keep me on track--but that only works if the person who gives the "tough love" is also open to thinking outside ther own little box of how things must work.
Or the box they've put me in because it's the only thing they can understand and discovering something-someone-different brings on too much insecurity?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you on the family issue my dear. I remember when my family were completely decided that I was doing things for certain reasons, or whatever, that there was nothing I could say or do to change their minds. I think you just gotta be brave & stand tall. Yes it would be nice to have their understanding & support but if its not there (at the moment) you must not let that pull you back from your goals. That won't help in showing them your determination. Also this is YOUR life & YOUR body. So today may have been not so good - pick yourself up & get back on track.

Try & stay strong my dear know that you are not alone. You have come so far, dont let yourself slip now xxx

LiLmissGuTs said...

Wow sparkling, you and I do relate a lot more that I realize every day.
I know you're right...I had just hoped...I mean I gave up hope long ago and found a life of my own...then thought just maybe there could be something, tried opening the door, and realized it's as bad or worse.
And the hurt buried down there comes up piercing worse than ever.

i. can't. take it.
I really didn't even think it was "that bad" when I wrote this from school...and then I was on this huge high after hanging out with some awesome friends AND excited about my first race with the club this weekend!

...and I've been home maybe an hour and I want to cry, scream, something...

But I can't let it get to my life. I have to stay on track...with my goals, my progress, and the life I am finding...why does it make sense logically but come home here and feel anything but? :(

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So glad that you're progressing with the eating and everything - PLEASE stay strong. Don't let any negativity hinder your progression!!