Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mini Introduction

I am a 23 year old Exercise Science graduate, certified by the American College of Sport’s Medicine as a personal trainer. I love working in the fields of athletics and fitness and have realized I am especially passionate about the Nutrition aspect, so I am currently pursuing my master’s degree in Nutrition and hope to become a registered dietician as well.

To say I am athletic and love to run would be an understatement of gigantic proportions. I have been involved in competitive athletics for as long as I can remember, but only after overcoming a series of hopeless obstacles in my teenage years have I discovered just how much a part of my nature this “athlete thing” really is. I do not believe that running is all there is [for me] in life, but I HAVE found that running makes EVERYTHING in life that much better.

My return to running has been a resurrection of my soul. The countless battles to make the comeback have taught me to appreciate the running I am now blessed with as I continue to tenaciously pursue my bigtime dreams.

After making my official return to running last year, I was bitten by the marathon bug when a couple of my teammates ran one last fall. Hence I put myself full force into training for Bayshore marathon in May, 2008. It wasn’t an easy journey, but it was an overcoming story of it’s own to top off my comeback.
I ran the race in 2:43, steady pace and negative split showing that even with the limited training I had been able to put in [at least in terms of actual running] I had a good base. But I was 3 minutes off Boston, so I couldn’t stop there.
I am now preparing for the Detroit Free Press marathon, with the hopes of a BQ.
From there however, I think I might go back to some shorter distances, particularly the 10K. As I take classes and prepare for grad school I am taking the opportunity to compete with a team again [YES!!] as well as race more and save my body a bit with the shorter distance focus.

All in all I have some bigtime dreams, and this blog reflects my journey as I create my own “Olympic Training Center” and work to build the physical body and performance results of the elite athlete roaring within me.

No comments: