Friday, November 21, 2008

Ups and Downs

First of all, the highlight of my week : I'M RUNNING AGAIN!
And I don't say that or take it lightly. I've had some trial runs, cautious gimps, all month, but no real "feeling my legs back" dealios. Slow but minor improvement...until this week it was like BAM the floodgates open! Aside from being pretty out of shape [wow did today's 8 miler wear me out!], I feel like my own self. AND I'm loving and appreciating my runs more than ever.
It's a good thing I've had an insane week of work and school to keep my runs in check or I'm not sure I could restrain myself from increasing too quickly.
Which brings me to a question for my running readers: How quickly is appropriate to increase after being injured?
I know the usual standard is to keep it at 10%/week--but what if you'd been running a lot more in the past, and only had lower mileage due to injury?
2 weeks ago I was at 15mpw, last week was 20, and this week is already at 22. I am going to try and keep my run [2 days from now :(] at 3m so I don't go past 25, but i feel like I could go straight to 30 without hurting myself. What should I limit myself to as I get back in my groove?
One thing I know is I won't be training 70+mpw this winter! With everything I've got going on there's no way. I'm hoping to keep it around 50mpw and build more quality into it. It'll be interesting to see what kind of results I get come spring '09.

Quick note on the GI status...
Big fat, F. I hit and held an all time low this week. Literally could not function. I'll spare the details I can't even find words for, but it's been horrendous and survival mode.
Starting yesterday I'm taking things into my own hands again. Trying not to get extreme so I just hurt myself more, but at the same time I've got to do what I can to find out how to cope with whatever's going on. Doctors can't help me if all they can do is give me some powder that obviously made things worse. Someday I'm praying that I'll be blessed with the resources to get real testing and treatment, but until then it's back to the diet drawing board. Right now I'm:
-eliminating soy, lactose, strong spices
-limiting fiber and tricky fruits and veggies [pretty much all besides the starchy types :(]
-stopped taking my iron
-coffee decreases [although it is one thing that helps so I'm not trying to cut it out]
I hope some of this is temporary [especially the iron and nutrient limits], but my priority right now is to heal so i can function, and maybe someday, have a life outside the bathroom and also get to enjoy some of the calories I need so much of!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice on the running!!!!

i would say that you need to slowly increase. how would you feel if you somehow did injure yourself again after just getting back? you'd be pissed. keep the mileage to 10% increase per week- just my advice.

also, on the GI front, are you stopped up or going too much? just wondering so i could possibly offer advice.

LiLmissGuTs said...

It's kind of both, which is one reason it's so hard to figure out solution. Actually, it'd even be easier to deal if I were constipated or the other, because then at least I'd either GO and be done, or just not able to go.
So yeah...it's like I'm always going but it doesn't all the way go. The process is a huge mess plus leaves me trying to function "while going/partway" and there's a lot of gas and stuff too. Sorry if even that "brief" outline is TMI! :(

Anonymous said...

have you tried probiotics? i take them everyday and they work wonders.

you could probably try like some metamucil or something too. that would "bulk up" your poop and help it pass easier.

fsumeg1884 said...

Thanks for the shout out! God is so good!